Kogarah Tyrepower has Run Flat tyres by Pirelli.
What are Run Flat tyres?
Run Flats were created back in the 1930’s to avoid blow-outs on commuter trains and city trolley carts. Foam was inserted into the sidewall to prevent a rapid decrease in pressure and the vehicle losing control.
It wasn’t until 50 years later that BMW and Pirelli made the run flat tyre popular among vehicle manufacturers. Pirelli developed a commercial run flat tyre as a key safety feature for BMW and an alternative to carrying the spare tyre.
The self-supporting tyre can carry on driving after a loss of pressure for up to 80km and up to speeds of 80kmph. This allows the vehicle to continue on a safe journey to the nearest tyre shop, like Kogarah Tyrepower or your nearest fuel station.
How do Run Flat tyres work?
Pirelli have developed highly innovative sidewalls of each Run Flat tyre that are capable of holding the weight of the vehicle in the event of a puncture. Standard tyres will experience a rapid drop in pressure and result in damaged tyres and wheels instantly.
What are some of the downsides to Run Flat tyres
You might be thinking these tyres sound too good to be true but with most positives come a few negatives. Let's take a look:
- Stiffer sidewalls can result in a less comfortable ride
- The price tag for Run Flats is considerably more expensive
- With the vast long distances between outback towns, the Run Flat might not be the most suitable tyre for Australian
- Tyre repairs can be costly or in many cases tyre shops will not repair Run Flats
Can I fit Run Flat tyres to my car?
The short answer, yes but you might have to make a few adjustments to your vehicle to get the most out of your new Run Flat tyres.
- Installing a tyre pressure monitoring system (TPMS) is essential as the monitoring system will notify the driver of any loss in pressure, as you may be unaware of a puncture and continue to drive.
- Due to the stiffness from Run Flat tyres, your vehicle’s suspension may need to be altered in one way or another. It would be recommended that you talk with the experts before switching over to Run Flat tyres.
Kogarah Tyrepower are your experts in Pirelli Run Flat tyres. With the best range of Pirelli products in Sydney, we are your first choice for Run Flat tyres. You can find us at 7 Lindsay Street, Rockdale NSW, 2216 or call us on (07) 9587 3366.