New Year, New Tyres?
When it comes to buying new tyres for your car, what is the difference between cheap and premium tyres?
Put simply, the saying that ‘you get what you pay for’, typically rings true. Investing in a quality set of tyres may be a bigger outlay initially, but in the long term, they are likely to save you money. That’s not to say that all ‘cheap’ tyres are bad, but the enhanced performance, ride comfort, safety and longevity that a premium set of tyres can offer you is hard to beat.
What do premium tyres offer?
Arguably, there is a significant difference between premium tyres and budget tyres. One of the main differences is the quality of the rubber compound that’s used. Cheaper tyres tend to use a harder rubber compound as it’s cheaper to manufacture.
The harder rubber of budget tyres can offer greater durability and potentially a slight improvement in fuel efficiency due to the low rolling resistance. However, the compromise is that budget tyres tend to have less cornering ability, grip and wet weather capability when compared to premium tyres.
By comparison, quality tyres offer better performance, longevity, grip in all conditions and safety for you and your passengers. When you buy into more expensive brands like Pirelli, for example, you are buying tyres derived from over a century of research and development.
Pirelli is one of the world’s great tyre manufacturers. They have over 140 years of building and perfecting the best possible tyres for safety, performance and mileage. Scientists, engineers, designers and drivers work collaboratively to produce quality tyres for an array of applications.
Budget tyres from smaller, lesser known brands don’t have the same technology or refined materials going into their tyres. They often use unknown rubber sources and use other means of making tyres, which reduce the cost of the tyre to the consumer but as already mentioned, this comes with many compromises.
Let’s take a closer look at what Pirelli has to offer…
The Pirelli range extends from mid-priced to premium tyres. Here at Kogarah Tyrepower, we have a tyre to fit and suit most makes and models, and applications.
Our extensive range of Pirelli tyres includes:
Scorpion All Terrain Plus
The Scorpion All Terrain Plus the perfect choice to drive for long distances without any compromise regarding safety and comfort. Thanks to its specifically designed tread pattern, it efficiently evacuates water, digs mud, and ejects stones under the footprint. The sipes inserted inside the tread blocks deliver high level of grip even on slippery surfaces. The Scorpion All Terrain Plus is also suitable in tough off-road conditions, thanks to its reinforced sidewall and the shape of its blocks. It also comes equipped with the three peaks mountain snowflake and the M+S marking, which allows it to be confidently considered as an all-terrain and all-weather tyre.
Key features of the Pirelli Scorpion All Terrain Plus include:
- New aggressive block tread pattern - high performance, traction and grip on all off-road surfaces.
- Optimised contact pressure distribution - regular wear profile and better traction and braking, giving improved mileage and safety.
- Longitudinal grooves - water and mud expulsion, high control in wet and muddy conditions.
- Optimised tread block pitch sequence design - reduced noise generation and a comfortable driving experience.
- Wider sidewall layout - less prone to sidewall damage, higher safety and performance in off-road conditions.
Pirelli claims that the Cinturato P6 provides the perfect equilibrium of performances, fuel saving, comfort and high level of safety for mid-size and compact cars.
Key features of the Pirelli Cinturato P6 include:
- New tread compound - reduces rolling resistance
- New contour- improved fuel economy
- New curing style- reduce CO2 emissions
- Specific pitch sequence - improve noise performance
- New tyre structure - driving experience is enhanced
- New pattern design - enhance breaking performance
- New tread compound - improved safety in wet and dry conditions
P Zero PZ4
P ZERO is a unique, ultra high performance product. It combines Pirelli’s knowledge gained from competitive motorsport and from Pirelli’s alliance with the top car manufacturers, granting the perfect fit for the performance of each car.
Key features of the Pirelli P Zero PZ4 include:
- Superior steering responsiveness thanks to the blocky shoulder - provides increased tread stiffness (and greater lateral stability in the sport version).
- Superior safety in wet conditions due to the high silica content - better traction and riding comfort with high pitch sequence.
- Improved tyre warm up. Medium/high working range for hard handling consistency in the sport version
- Low noise emission and low rolling resistance, achieved by optimised pitch sequence and siping design in the luxury saloon version.
- Improved rolling resistance, wet performance and better mileage in the luxury saloon version.
So, what are you waiting for? Improve the safety and performance of your car with a new set of quality tyres in 2020!
Call into our store at 433 West Botany Street, Kogarah, or give us a call on (02) 9587 3366 to find out more about our great range of quality tyres, including our extensive range of Pirelli tyres. Our knowledgeable team will help you to find the best tyres for your car and driving needs.
For those who are looking for a new set of premium tyres but can’t quite stretch the budget, Kogarah Tyrepower offers Zip Pay and Zip Money in-store.